Poland Announces Complete Ban on Monsanto’s Genetically Modified Maize
Following the anti-Monsanto activism launched by nations like France and Hungary, Poland has announced that it will launch a complete ban on growing Monsanto’s genetically modified strain MON810.
The announcement, made by Agriculture Minister Marek Sawicki, sets yet another international standard against Monsanto’s genetically modified creations. In addition to being linked to a plethora health ailments, Sawicki says that the pollen originating from this GM strain may actually be devastating the already dwindling bee population.
“The decree is in the works. It introduces a complete ban on the MON810 strain of maize in Poland,” Sawicki stated to the press.
Similar opposition to Monsanto occurred on March 9th, when 7 European countries blocked a proposal by the Danish EU presidency which would permit the cultivation of genetically modified plants on the entire continent. It was France, who in February, lead the charge against GMOs by asking the European Commission to suspend authorization to Monsanto’s genetically modified corn. What’s more, the country settled a landmark case in favor of the people over Monsanto, finding the biotech giant guilty of chemical poisoning.
In a ruling given by a court in Lyon (southeast France), grain growerFrancois stated that Monsanto failed to provide proper warnings on the Lasso weedkiller product label which resulted in neurological problems such as memory loss and headaches. The court ordered an expert opinion to determine the sum of the damages, and to verify the link between Lasso and the reported illnesses. The result was a guilty charge, paving the way for further legal action on behalf of injured farmers.
Since 1996, the agricultural branch of the French social security system has gathered about 200 alerts per year regarding sickness related to. However only 47 cases were even recognized in the past 10 years.
Nations are continually taking a stand against Monsanto, with nations like Hungary destroying 1000 acres of GM maize and India slamming Monsanto with ‘biopiracy‘ charges.
- Genetically modified maize lowers fertility in mice, study finds
- Hungary Destroys All Monsanto GMO Maize Fields
- France Takes Stand Against GMOs, Monsanto Despite End of Ban
- Monsanto’s Bt GMO corn to be sold at Wal-Mart with no indication it is genetically modified
- Infographic: All The Genetically Modified Food You’re Eating
- Genetically Modified Canola ‘Escapes’ Farm Fields
- Research Links Genetically Modified Food To Long Term Sterility
- Danger of Genetically Modified Foods with Dr. OZ
- French court annuls ban on Monsanto GM crops
- Monsanto Forced Out of UK by Activists
- China Rejects Genetically Modified Rice in Opposition to GMO Crops
- Killing The Food Supply: The Dangers of Genetically Modified Food